Lickety Knit

In which I stick a toe into the humbling cyberknitting universe.

Friday, March 18, 2005

Knitting needles lost in the void

After doing some quick calculations about what it would cost me to buy circular needles in every size and length as I need them over time, I determined it would be prudent to look into an interchangeable needle set. Many of the folks over on the Knitty boards raved about their Denise Interchangeables, so I found some for a good price on e-bay, made PayPal magic happen, and sat back, eagerly anticipating their arrival via USPS Priority Mail.

Monday evening I arrived home from work to find a slip on the door announcing that they'd tried to deliver a package but - lo! - I wasn't home. So I signed the slip where indicated, taped it to the door, and spent what I thought would be my last night with a severe knitting needle shortage.

But then -- nothing on Tuesday. Slip still on the door, no package. Nothing on Wednesday either. So I called the local post office to see if it was waiting there for me (as the slip indicated it would be if I didn't sign it for delivery). After what sounded over the phone like some very non-technological rummaging (they didn't even want my tracking number), I was told they didn't have it and that it was probably with the carrier and I'd get it the next day.

The next day. Nothing. I am now truly desperate to start a new knitting project, but I can't because I don't want to buy the size needles it calls for since I supposedly have a whole set coming. I call the local post office again to no avail and then the main Providence branch. A very nice woman takes all my information, puts me on hold, and then comes back to say she has "walked around the whole building" and doesn't see anything. Umm, okay. I mean, it's true, the package is about the size of a book, so if it had been there, it would have been hard to miss. (Eye roll.) But she was very nice and promised to speak to our carrier and see what he knew.

And now I'm just waiting. For all I know it came today (doubtful), but if it didn't, and they can't find it, I just know it's going to be a long, drawn out process of getting reimbursed and filling out forms and generally doing things that do not involve using my brand new Denise Interchangeable Circular Knitting Needle Set. Grumble.

1 Comments:

At 3/19/2005 8:36 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

Hi Rachel,

I hope your package comes. I'm assuming you need the circs for our Honeymoon Cami.

Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home