Lickety Knit

In which I stick a toe into the humbling cyberknitting universe.

Monday, May 09, 2005

New yarn, new projects

I received a shipment from Knitpicks today, and while the price is right, I'm not in love with the colors. Here is the yarn I will be using for my next baby blanket project (I hope to have one Project Linus project going all the time). It is really, really pink. But some people genuinely love pink, so I have to imagine someone will get use out of it. The yarn is machine wash and dryable, which is nice.

UPDATE: Turns out this yarn is great. It knits up in to a wonderfully soft fabric, perfect for baby stuff. Very light, too. And I decided that althought he pink is a bit brighter than I might have chosen, it's very cheery -- and it's likely that the kiddo who winds up with this blanket won't be in the cheeriest place in life. So I've gone from uncertain to very happy with it in the course of one evening and 2 inches of knitting..


I also got some Wool of the Andes (standard 100% Peruvian wool) that seems to be nice quality, but the off-white color I ordered has so much yellow in it that it's frankly ugly and therefore not usable for my project (Chicknit's Ribby Cardi). I bought the off-white as the main body color and then ordered two options for the sleeve color. I like the colors of the two sleeve options, but they don't go well at all with the sickly yellow main color. I'm sure I'll find some other use for it, but it's rather disappointing.

5 Comments:

At 5/09/2005 10:06 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

I haven't bought from Knitpicks, even though everyone raves about them. Thanks for giving me the heads-up on their colors.

I'll be posting a picture of my X-back tomorrow. You were right on your tips for sizing. I appreciate your help.

Amy

 
At 5/10/2005 8:03 AM, Blogger D said...

I am set to place an order with KnitPicks in the next day or so. I REALLY wish they had sample cards for their yarns just so this won't happen. On a bright note, can't you koolaid dye the sickly yellowish yarn to another color you may use?

 
At 5/10/2005 8:05 AM, Blogger D said...

PS...Thank for posting a pic of the baby blanket. I made a washcloth ages ago that looked similar. I didn't even think to increase the pattern to do a baby blanket!

 
At 5/10/2005 8:17 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Tesoro -- that's a great idea about the cool-aid dying. I've never done that before, but it's probably high time I tried it! Thanks!

Amy, I would definitely try ordering from Knitpicks again (especially now that my mind is so changed about the Crayon), but in the future I'd definitely order a sample ball before ordering several for a large project. You just can't trust the colors on your monitor.

 
At 5/12/2005 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's a discussion about the ethics of knitpicks going on at the knitty coffeeshop. i personally am a big fan--everything i've ordered from them has been great.

and nothing can ever be too pink. i love the baby blanket.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home